libtool hangs when linking

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Aug 19 16:03:12 PDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 01:53:02PM -0500, Ray, TD Travis (8878) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Has anyone experienced any problems with libtool that appear to make
> it hang up while linking?  I've spent the past weekend attempting to compile
> gnome-2.0 only to get stuck about half-way through.
>
> 	During compilation I witnessed libtool warnings about "library
> <lib>.la seems to have moved", but it didn't seem to be anything
> catastrophic, and not every package seemed to suffer from this behavior.  I
> made sure /opt/gnome-2.0/lib was in ld.so.conf,  I ran ldconfig about 50
> times, but nothing seemed to help.
>
> 	I did find somewhat of a work-around for a few of the packages in
> which I removed the /bin/sh libtool mode=link..., replaced instances of
> <path-to-lib>/<lib>.la with <path-to-lib>/<lib>.so each time it appeared to
> hang.  I then proceeded normally with gcc.  That seemed to work except when
> the link target was a <lib>.la file.  That's where I'm at now.
>
> 	Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?
>
> 	Oh, I'm using lfs-3.3 (libtool-1.4.2).
>
> Thanks!

There are some longstanding bugs in libtool that you might be seeing.
If you are compiling from gnome CVS then the problem is accentuated as it
is your LFS installed libtool giving you the grief. If you are installing
from tarballs, then the problem is not so bad.

It is probably hot hung, but still actually linking. How long did you
wait for it to continue? Do you have a slow box? How about some cut'n'paste
of lines preceding the hang?

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org