Halting the computer

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Mon Aug 19 23:11:40 PDT 2002

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 07:42, Doghater wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:18:16 +0100 Antony Stone
> <Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk> wrote:
> > I believe they handle it in hardware (ie Bios) because the key
> > combination is labelled on the keyboard and can't be changed,
> > there's no options to enable or disable it in the kernel, and
> > there's no signal I can find (eg in inittab) to tell the machine
> > that's what you want it to do.
> >
> > I believe many desktops can configure the power button to go into
> > sleep mode if you press it briefly, or power off if you hold it for
> >4 seconds.   Have a look in your Bios settings to see what's
> > there.
>
> Thanks - I'll give it a go when I install linux on my laptop!

This requires APM support. Disable ACPI. It's suspend features aren't
stable (enough) yet. Unfortunately my laptop is too new - it can only
suspend with ACPI. Fortunately there's swsusp (software
suspend-to-disk), but if the machine boots cold into kdm under 15
seconds, it's hardly worth it! Hope you have better luck!

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org