alsa 0.9rc3

Mark Ellis mark.uzumati at virgin.net
Tue Aug 20 02:13:34 PDT 2002

On 2002.08.18 18:02 Horacio Ferrero wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 06:18, Oliver Martin wrote:
>
> I've the same problem as you : I got the same string "alsamixer:
> function snd_ctl_open failed ..."
> But if the compiler do not complain is because it recognizes your card
> name...
> I cannot solved my problem so I cannot solve yours!
>
>     snd_ctl_open failed
>     snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
>     I've just compiled alsa-0.9rc3 (driver, lib, utils) using
> gcc-3.1.1.
>     When I try to run alsamixer, it only prints "alsamixer: function
>     snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory". I
> compiled
>     the alsa-drivers package with support for the via686 chipset as I
> have a
>     vt82c686b onboard sound controller.

To both Horacio and Oliver :-

This is probably because there is no device node in /dev. If you are
using a static /dev, try running the snddevices script in the
alsa-driver package. If you are using devfs, start by modprobing all
the sound modules manually and see if that helps.

> My modules.conf file contains
> the
>     following:
>     alias char-major-116 snd
>     options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
>     alias snd-card-0 snd-card-via686
>     alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>     alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
>     alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
>     post-install snd-card-via686 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
>     I don't know if this is correct as I didn't really know what to
> put for
>     the <soundcard> pieces. I just put the same I used with the
> --with-cards
>     option when compiling alsa.

In the 'alias snd-card-0' line, the module name should indeed be
'snd-via686', the card part was from the 0.5 alsa series.

This modules.conf should be reasonable if you use a static /dev. If
you use devfs then check the posts over the last few weeks, and the
modules+devfs hint i posted recently. I'm submitting the hint properly
now as well.

Mark
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org