x11 problems on a sony vaio fxa59

Mike Labriola mike.labriola at clarksonalumni.com
Tue Aug 20 19:06:07 PDT 2002

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 August 2002 12:40, Mike Labriola wrote:
>
>>here's my XF86Config and XFree86.0.log
>

> The monitor entry seemed incorrect according to the log. You can try one
> of XFree86's configure tools (see BLFS) or try this minimal X config
> which should work with maximal resolution:
>
> <snip>

the XF86Config file i sent you was the most recent messed around with version.
the one you sent me is almost identical to the original config file i was using
and gives me the same results.  attached is the XFree86.0.log file generated by
using this config file.

i noticed one more thing.  when i have x working (via the externel monitor
trick), if i change resolution (ctrl-alt-+) the display goes back to the messed
up broken gray lines with white box in upper left corner...  and i have to
switch to external monitor and back to fix it.

i've also subscribed to the xpert at xfree86.org list and a linux-sony list...  if
anyone on either of these lists has any relevant suggestions, i'll repost them
(with snipping...) here.

wish me luck!  (i appear to need it...)

-mike

ps - i also contacted redhat support to see if they knew why their graphical
installer worked even though x doesn't...  they brushed me off.  "please browse
through our [useless] online documentation or purchase telephone support" or
something like that.  arg.

|              Michael D. Labriola               |
|        mike.labriola at clarksonalumni.com        |
|          Admiralty Drive West Apt F4           |
|             Middletown, RI 02842               |
|                (401)846-4085                   |