Alsa - drives me mad...

Horacio Ferrero horace.linux at noos.fr
Wed Aug 21 13:48:11 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 21:24, Richard Lightman wrote:
    * Mark Ellis <mark.uzumati at virgin.net> [2002-08-21 19:58]:

    > Aha, thats where that came from then. I actually meant i had no idea
    > what causes the unresolved symbols in modules built with the kernel,
    > but ditto for the symlinks, one mystery solved then :) Anyone for
    > the symbols ?

    I used to get unresolved symbols. I suspect they were always caused
    by some carelessness on my part. Here are some of my past mistakes:

    Forget to install the modules for a new kernel configuratoin.

    Install the modules, but forget the kernel.

    Muck up the boot loader, so it runs the old kernel with the new
    modules, or the other way arround.

    Leave stale modules from the previous kernel configuartion lying
    arround.

    Compile externel modules (like alsa) against the old kernel sources.

    I think you could get unresolved symbols by maliciously editing the
    kernel .config file to build modules without the things they depend
    on. It is possible that someone forgot to mention some dependancy
    in the make {old,menu,...}config rules.

    The reason I do not get unresolved symbols any more is I use a script
    that performs all the steps required to instals a new kernel
    configuration.

    Richard
    Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org

Niet...Richard... I'm not so skilled man and I'd build a lfs system to

get more experience ans feel a little bit confident with Linux. I'd

used Mandrake from 4.0 up to now an it looks as MS-Windows... nothing

to do for install it... In my computer the installation of MDK is so

easy that I forget day after day more ans more things because only

mouse clicks are needed

Thank for your help ! I appreciated it too much!
--
Horacio

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org