OK more info then...

Joe Joe at joe.joe
Wed Aug 21 19:59:26 PDT 2002

Well here is one error: This is after following the install instructions
word-for-word for mysql without any optimization flags set. When i run
mysql_install_db:

/usr/bin/safe_mysqld: line 1: 25640 Segmentation Fault nice --5 nohup
/usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file
=/var/mysql/optimus.pid --skip-locking --skip-grant >>
/var/mysql/optimus.err 2>&1
Installation of grant tables failed!

so i checked the log file and it says:

Number of processes running now: 2
mysqld process hanging, pid 25643 - killed
mysqld process hanging, pid 25642 - killed
020821 20:46:46 mysqld restarted

Looks like processes start fine then promptly hang. i can access the
/usr/bin/mysql console sometimes sporadically.

I should point out that I built mysql with default (no opt) flags on a GCC
built like blfs says to (ie with the ABI compatibility flags all set right)
however, the rest of my system (including GCC) was built with

-O3 -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer

I have had no problems though with any other apps so i am reluctant to
rebuild GCC, kernel etc without the flags set unless im sure thats the
problem.

thanks for looking into it!

news:20020821201054.GA9537 at linuxfromscratch.org...