Consolefonts, french accents and ASCII art

Jean-Pierre Parent parentjp at duct-ape.org
Wed Aug 21 20:16:32 PDT 2002

Hello everyone,

After completing my installation of LFS CVS 20020818, I tried to enable
french accents. This task has always been a pain on all the distros I tried
since my native language is French Canadian. So after reading 3 manuals
(gettext, libc, locale) and the Francophone-HOWTO, I'm more confused than
anything else. Each document refers to different paths and files!

So my question is: does anyone succesfully setup a french canadian
environment? how? (See below for what I tried...)

Facts:
I got it to work "more or less" under Debian but I cannot get the same
configuration under my LFS system as Debian specific tools were used to make
it work. I say "more or less" because the console cannot display accents,
only some programs such as vim and bitchx can (and under X its a different
story but can be fixed using a custom .xmodmap file from
http://www.linux-quebec.org - faq section)

In LFS:
- When I boot, the login prompt is capable of printing accents ("é","è","ï"
and "ç" for example) in the login field.

- After login, bash cannot print any characters with accents (see above).
The PC speaker makes noise instead (as described in the doc I read).

- I see that the lat9-16.psf.gz fonts contain all the necessary characters
by doing this:
setfont /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts &&
setfont -om sample &&
cat sample
Warning: this will change your console fonts. Use "setfont" to set it back
to the default one pointed to by the /usr/defkeymap.map.gz symlink.

What I tried:
setfont /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/<somefont>
loadkeys -d  (having a symlink /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/defkeymap.map.gz
pointing to /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/cf.map.gz)

I also tried to use loadkeys to include the keymap within the kernel.
Everything seemed to be okay but results were no different.

While we're at it. Is there a place where the font get initialised in the
init scripts?

Thanks for your input,
Jean-Pierre Parent

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org