Need help with CD burner

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Thu Aug 22 00:04:59 PDT 2002

* Rob 'Feztaa' Park <feztaa at shaw.ca> [2002-08-22 06:40]:

> Crap, I don't have any of those modules. What's this scsi jazz? I don't
> have any scsi in my computer at all, it's all ide.

The IDE command set is a bit limited. AFAIK, it is impossible to burn a
CD with IDE commands.  This was solved a long time ago by the ATAPI
protocol, which sends SCSI commands over an IDE bus.

Linux can access a CDROM with native IDE commands or with ATAPI SCSI
commands. Mixing the two is possible, but it is simpler to choose just
one method. Here are the modules you will need for a cd burner, and
the ones that will just cause hassle:

ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support  --->
  IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices  --->
    <*>   Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
    < >   Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
    < >   Include IDE/ATAPI TAPE support
    < >   Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support
    <M>   SCSI emulation support
SCSI support  --->
  <M> SCSI support
    <M>   SCSI CD-ROM support
    <M>   SCSI generic support

The vital one is SCSI generic support. The kernel does not know
about CD burners. Instead, it allows SCSI commands to be sent from
user space to scsi generic devices. Last time I checked, cdrecord
was really bad about finding cd burners on linux. It is simplest
to tell cdrecord where to look in /etc/defaults/cdrecord:

CDR_DEVICE=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/generic
CDR_SPEED=1

When say "writes CD's at x40", they are using marketing speak. To
get old CDROMS to read cheap media reliably, reduce the speed.
Speed 1 is the slowest speed supported by the drive - probably
about x4 for a modern drive.

Lastly you need some stuuff in /etc/modules.conf

# Let modeprobe know what SCSI car you have:
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi

# For static device nodes (at a guess)
alias char-major-21     sg

# For devfs:
above sr_mod            sg

#This would be more sensible to devfs, but it did not work:
#alias /dev/scsi/*/generic sg

RIchard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org