Need help with CD burner

Chris Jensen chris-lfs at drspirograph.com
Thu Aug 22 04:13:44 PDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:39, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> Alas! Bill Maltby LFS Related spake thus:
> > I don't think you necessarily need sr_mod (I use /dev/sr0) and I don't
> > think you would need cdrom either. But my *guess* would be you need scsi
> > generic (sg), scsi_mod and ide-scsi for sure. Insmod them if they are not
> > loaded. You may need to do it in different sequences until you hit it
> > right because of dependencies.
>
> Crap, I don't have any of those modules. What's this scsi jazz? I don't
> have any scsi in my computer at all, it's all ide.

All cd burning under linux uses SCSI commands - since most ide cd burners are
ATAPI, which is very similar to SCSI, I guess it must've been easier to write
emulation to make the burner appear as a SCSI device than to modify all the
software to have to deal with two interfaces.

As far as your eject problem goes - I've found with my cd burner, that if I
hit the eject button while the cd is mounted, it sometimes won't eject even
after I unmount - but if I then mount the CD again and unmount it straight
away, it seems to sort itself out.

--
Chris Jensen

Public Key: http://drspirograph.com/public_key/

Wait: Did you know that there's a direct correlation between the decline of
Spirograph and the rise in gang activity?  Think about it.
- Dr Spirograph (The Simpsons)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org