Need help with CD burner

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Aug 22 04:25:30 PDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Chris Jensen wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:39, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> > Alas! Bill Maltby LFS Related spake thus:
> > > <snip>
> >
> > Crap, I don't have any of those modules. What's this scsi jazz? I don't
> > have any scsi in my computer at all, it's all ide.
>
> All cd burning under linux uses SCSI commands - since most ide cd burners are
> ATAPI, which is very similar to SCSI, I guess it must've been easier to write
> emulation to make the burner appear as a SCSI device than to modify all the
> software to have to deal with two interfaces.
>
> As far as your eject problem goes - I've found with my cd burner, that if I
> hit the eject button while the cd is mounted, it sometimes won't eject even
> after I unmount - but if I then mount the CD again and unmount it straight
> away, it seems to sort itself out.

I'm glad you mentioned that. In response to Feztaa's original, I mounted
my CD and punched the eject button. Guess what - it ejects! 8-O And the
system let's me do an ls -l and gracefully returns I/O error which persist
even after I load the CD again. They clear up when I remount.

So I figure, I have something wrong. Haven't investigated yet - just
thought I would mention it and see if anyone else has similar
"capabilities".

I do have *both* ide-scsi and normal ATAPI support active. Figured there
might be something related to that going on. I will investigate someday,
when it achieves "critical mass".

> Chris Jensen

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com