Need help with CD burner

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Aug 22 10:42:54 PDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> On Thursday 22 August 2002 16:40, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
> > I have a *sneaky* hunch that when I learn how to *really* use the
> > modules.conf capability [...]
>
> Or maybe you're just being carefull with those hairs you've got left :))

Out-of-sight, out-of-mind! Since I can't see the top of my head, I must be
out of my mind! Oh! I slay myself! :-( )

> <snip>
> > modules.conf is properly constructed, you can have the best of both
> > [...]

> Ollright, I'm investigating it right now. Preferebly, it would be nice
> to have two devices setup for cdrom: /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdwriter. Any

Exactly the thought I was having.

> calls to /dev/cdwriter automagically load the scsi modules

This part is easy, as you already know.

> (and would
> unload ide-cd since they conflict - I just tried) and vice-versa. Then
> it would be a simple matter of pointing programs to the correct
> devices. I'm using devfs but not devfsd. Anybody know enough of
> /etc/modules.conf to set this up without devfsd? I tried
> probeall /dev/cdrom ide-cd cdrom
> probeall /dev/cdwriter ide-scsi sg sr_mod cdrom
> but it doesn't seem to work w/o devfsd. Right now I'm using:
> alias cdwriter ide-scsi
> above ide-scsi sg sr_mod cdrom
> above cdrom ide-cd
> And before loading a program either modprobe cdwriter or cdrom.

I think the solution lays in the use of modules.conf "before" and "after"
and maybe some "if - else" stuff. We already know the "above" directive
will do the proper loads. So, now a "before" directive that removes the
corresponding modules from the other style (if starting ide-cd, remove
scsi, if starting scsi, removes ide) may be the answer. I suspect that
silent operation will require a "detection" that uses if-else constructs.

What say ye?

> Groeten/Greetings
> Jeroen Coumans

Bill Maltby