Need help with CD burner

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Aug 22 10:53:47 PDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:

> Alas! Richard Lightman spake thus:
> > * Rob 'Feztaa' Park <feztaa at shaw.ca> [2002-08-22 06:40]:
> > > Crap, I don't have any of those [...]
> >
> > The IDE command set is a bit limited. AFAIK, it is impossible[...]
> > [...] solved a long time ago by the ATAPI protocol, which sends SCSI
> > commands over an IDE bus.
>
> Well, learn something every day, I guess ;)
>
> But how does an IDE device understand SCSI commands?

That is what we now call ATAPI. AT=The old IBM PC/AT standard interface
(now just called IDE) and API=Attached Packet Interface, IIRC. This
instituted more sophisticed message passing between the controller and
OS and attached devices. I believe it started to creep in eith EIDE
(Enhanced IDE), but not sure about that.

> > Linux can access a CDROM with native IDE commands or with ATAPI SCSI
> > commands. Mixing the two is possible,[...]

> Rob 'Feztaa' Park
> http://members.shaw.ca/feztaa/

Hey "Festaa"! When you get this working, I want to see a perl script that
implements all this on this list by 8:00 A.M next day! ;-) No, I'm not
joking - I know it can be done!

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org