Need help with CD burner

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Aug 22 13:48:41 PDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Richard Lightman wrote:

> * Bill Maltby LFS Related <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> [2002-08-22 18:36]:
> >
> > I'm glad you mentioned that. In response to Feztaa's original, I mounted
> > my CD and punched the eject button. Guess what - it ejects! 8-O And the
> > system let's me do an ls -l and gracefully returns I/O error which persist
> > even after I load the CD again. They clear up when I remount.
> >
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/lock

Well that was what surprised me - /proc.../lock already had a 1 there!
That is what made me post initiallly about it. I thought "this really
should not behave that way".

Hmmm... I wonder if it behaves that way when when ide-cd is in control?
I think I'll just meander of to the other keyboard with my new-found
knowledge and see what it does...

    rmmod all the scsi related for CD,
    mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdfs
    cat /proc.../lock = 1 OK.

    Now I will punch the magic dragonXXXXXX button... No response. Good.

It seems to be related to the ide-scsi area.

Wait, more datastream is being downloaded now.

    Mounting using the ide-scsi stuff
    still shows 1 in the lock file
    but a cdrecord -eject unloads that sucker
    and we still show it mounted in the system.

This is *exactly* the same result as punching the button.

Hmmm... I suspect operator error of some kind.

Wait, another brain fart just arrived - is it related to FS type?
Swapped CDS and put in an iso one. Do

    mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/sr0 /mnt/cfds
    /proc.../lock still shows 1
    punch button ... no response... no response
    cdrecord -eject  Eject! Eject! Eject!

Bailing out, blue leader!

    cdrecord -load
    punch button.... Eject! Eject! Eject!

And it is still mounted!

Unmounted it again. Mounted again as is09660. Punch eject button. No
response. Loaded modules are sg, ide-scsi, sr_mod, cdrom, scsi_mod.

Unmounted it again. Mounted again as ext2. Punch eject button. No
response. Ahhhh! It is related to *cdrecord*.

Eject button is inoperative, as it should be *until* I do a cdrecord
operation. Test, CD already loaded and mounted. Do cdrecord -load and it
ejects the CD. cdrecord -load again loads it. Eject button is effective,
an error condition.

> After insufficient testing, it looks like this controls locking the
> cd during mount. It did not affect a mounted cd.

impervious to the eject button, as it should be, while the file system is
mounted. But cdrecord will still eject, leaving the file system mounted,
and from that point forward, the eject button is operative. If the file
system is unmounted and again mounted, the lock is again in effect until
any cdrecord operation is done.

cdrecord version is 1.10, i686-pc-linux-gnu

Anybody have a later version? Know if it fixes this? Any other knowledge
that might save me starting the browse/hopw/download reinstall sequence?

> Richard

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org