problem with special keys in lfs-cvs (home, end, F1...)

Daniel Balsiger dbalsige at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 22 15:25:19 PDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, DJ Lucas wrote:

> Daniel Balsiger wrote:
> > hi there
> >
> > I have a running LFS 3.3 and I'm really happy with it.
> > I have an /etc/inputrc file and all keys work as I want them to work.
> > so far so good...
> >
> > Now I wanted install a LFS-CVS (cause of gcc-3.1).
> > everything worked well until I booted the new LFS.
> >
> > Now some special keys like home, end, pg-up/down and F1 to F12
> > don't work at all (they seem to be dead).
> > I have the same /etc/inputrc as in the old System.
> > (which is pretty similar to the one from BLFS).
> >
> > maybe someone knows where I missed something or where I did the
> > mistake or what I can do to get these keys working...
> >
> > I really want this keys to work.
> >
> > thank you in advance
> >
> > Daniel
>
> We have yet to have a definative answer for the cause of this problem as it
> has only been seen by 4 people (yourself included) who have posted.  Looks
> like the easiest fix is a kernel re-compile after your first boot has fixed
> it for the other two who had this prob.  I just rebuilt and ofcourse it went
> away.  Try and build a new kernel, your old config file should be fine.
> I'm really curious if this fixes it as it has in the past....more than if it
> fixes it....why it fixes it!
>
> DJ

Greeeeeaaaaaat

thank you for your quick answer. fortunately a kernel-rebuild
finally solved the problem. (2 builds)

I tried it with my old kernel-tree which didn't work.

I remembered with this kernel my install scripts did a

cd /usr/share/kbd/keymaps &&
ln -s i386/qwertz/sg-latin1.map.gz defkeymap.map.gz &&
loadkeys -m /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/defkemap.map.gz > \
/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/defkeymap.c

right after installing kbd.

I had to unpack a brandnew kernel source tree and recompile it again...
the new kernel I have built had  the original /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/defkeymap.c

Now I try to move these 4 lines right before kernel build in my scripts
and I hope this will fix it for coming builds.

thanx again

Daniel

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org