Need help with CD burner

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Aug 22 16:29:04 PDT 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Richard Lightman wrote:
> >
> > > * Bill Maltby LFS Related <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> [2002-08-22 18:36]:

> > impervious to the eject button, as it should be, while the file system is
> > mounted. But cdrecord will still eject, leaving the file system mounted,
> > and from that point forward, the eject button is operative. If the file
> > system is unmounted and again mounted, the lock is again in effect until
> > any cdrecord operation is done.
> >
> > cdrecord version is 1.10, i686-pc-linux-gnu
> >
> > Anybody have a later version? Know if it fixes this? Any other knowledge
> > that might save me starting the browse/hopw/download reinstall sequence?
> >

> > > Richard
> >
> > Bill Maltby
> > billm at wlmcs.com
> >

> Well, googled my little heart out and found nothing useful other than some
> kernel 2.2 discussion saying the kernel should prevent this, but the sg
> can do more than CD and the ioctl... End result - nothing found which
> indicates a fix has been done.
>
> I am now installing cdrtools-1.11a30 in preparataion for and
> anticipated failure in a test to see if the bug has been not fixed
> before sending a query to Jorg Schilling to tell me it has not been and
> will not be fixed because it is the kernel's job to handle this.
>
> Now, calm down - I am not *that* optimistic!

Installed, mounted. Regression test:

   mount -t ext2 /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdfs  OK
   punch eject button                OK
   cdrecord -eject                   Ejected!
   mount                             shows still mounted
   cdrecord -load                    Improved, ls -l works, no I/O error
   cdrecord -eject                   Ejected!
   mount                             shows still mounted
   manually loaded CD                Improved, ls -l works, no I/O error
   punch eject button                Ejected!
   mount                             shows still mounted
   ls -l                             shows directory, no I/O error, but CD
                                     is still ejected. WOW! Working in its
                                     buffers. No wonder the above ones
                                     worked
   umount
   cdrecord -load                    worked
   mount -t ext2 /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdfs  worked
   punch eject button                No response, no response
   cdrecord -eject                   Ejected
   mount                             shows still mounted
   ls -l                             show directory
   find /mnt/cdfs                    show top dirs, others I/O errors
   manually loaded CD, ls -l         works, no errors
   find /mnt/cdfs                    show top dirs, others I/O errors
   umount /mnt/cdfs
   mount -t ext2 /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdfs  worked
   punch eject button                no response.

problem unless you consider being lulled by ls -l that looks like it is
working and benefit.

Well, I will post to Jorg now. This ends my part of this thread
unless/until I hear something worth mentioning.

> Bill Maltby
> billm at wlmcs.com

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com