alsamixer won't start?

Jerry Hoover jbhoo at charter.net
Fri Aug 23 16:49:26 PDT 2002

I have installed the alsa driver lib & utils packages -0.9.0rc3 with the
latest blfs book, and useing soundblaster live card.
no errors when installing packages and choose to have the kernel load
the modules and not use the scripts.
when I try to run the mixer I get

alsamixer:function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

I have installed xmms and it works but of course no sound with out
unmuting a mixer.

I tried installing aumix-2.7 and get a configure error
checking/console.h....presence no
checking/console.h....no
./configure line 3746 syntax error unexspected token (s'

I have tried runing ./snddevices that diden't help
any help would be appreciated

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org