network broken

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Aug 26 08:03:33 PDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 dildir at wanadoo.fr wrote:

> During start up the system brings up the lo interface as well as eth0.
>
> netstat -rn only mentions eth0.  Not lo.  ping, lo does not work,
> 127.0.0.1 and localhost do. ifconfig names both eth0 and lo.
>
> I can't ncftp anywhere because connection refused.
>
> I've chewed on nag and lfs and blfs for a while now and am stuck.
>
> Any one willing to help?

Silly question! You must not have spent much time here yet!  :-))

OK. My (B)LFS setup is like yours. Doesn't show lo in netstat -rn.
But I go through a gateway on another machine. On that machine, I have
a file, /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/if-cfg.lo. On your LFS it should
probably something like

    /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifcofig.lo

and should have something along these lines. Since these are from a RH
6.0, there should be some differences. But a little grunging around should
get you where you need to be.

DEVICE=lo                    # May not need this one?
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0            # May not need this one?
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes

HTH