network broken

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Aug 26 08:33:44 PDT 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 dildir at wanadoo.fr wrote:
>
> > During start up the system brings up the lo interface as well as eth0.
> >
> > netstat -rn only mentions eth0.  Not lo.  ping, lo does not work,

BTW, ping any device should *not* work. You ping IP addresses (possibly
resolved from /etc/hosts or DNS-type services).

> > 127.0.0.1 and localhost do. ifconfig names both eth0 and lo.

So, this is working correctly.

> > I can't ncftp anywhere because connection refused.

Hmmm. No thant I think about it, this may indicate a different problem.
If the ifconfig-lo doesn't fix you up, more detail about your set up might
help. Gateway? PPP? And other such stuff.

> > I've chewed on nag and lfs and blfs for a while now and am stuck.
> >
> > Any one willing to help?
>
> Silly question! You must not have spent much time here yet!  :-))
>
> OK. My (B)LFS setup is like yours. Doesn't show lo in netstat -rn.
> But I go through a gateway on another machine. On that machine, I have
> a file, /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/if-cfg.lo. On your LFS it should
> probably something like
>
>     /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifcofig.lo

      /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.lo