network broken

dildir at wanadoo.fr dildir at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 26 12:07:53 PDT 2002

Bill Maltby LFS Related (lfsbill at wlmcs.com) wrote:

> > > I can't ncftp anywhere because connection refused.
>
> Hmmm. No thant I think about it, this may indicate a different problem.
> If the ifconfig-lo doesn't fix you up, more detail about your set up might
> help. Gateway? PPP? And other such stuff.

I havn't set up a gateway.  This is supposed to become my gateway to the
net (then I don't need one right(?!?)?)  I've got /etc/sysconfig/network
as:

HOSTNAME=myhostname
GATEWAY=   #192.168.0.1
GATEWAY_IF=  #/dev/ttys1

should I delete the last two lines?

/etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 as:

ONBOOT=yes
IP=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

.

When connecting to the net ppp seems alright.
/var/daemon.log tells me named is listning and when dialing in that pppd
connects.
/var/dns_logs reports queries from my own IP.  I have installed bind

Some other network problems that may or may not be related.  wvdial only
connets when run as root.  otherwise ttyS1 is repotedly busy.  I cannot
get named to shutdown properly in the rc scripts(also connection
refused), manually I can.  I'm trying to tackle this one problem at a
time, but it may be related.

thanks for your help so far Bill, I try not to be silly but sometimes it
just happens.

Dirk

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org