Fetchmail and ip-up

Daniel Brewer d.brewer at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 26 14:03:26 PDT 2002

Hi there,
I have fetchmail up and runnig and working fine (now).  I have decided
that I would like to have it automatically start when I dial-in to the
internet through ppp.  The script ip-up works fine for other commands.
I have a .fetchmailrc in the user daniel home directory but not in the
root directory.  My ip-up looks like this:
#!/bin/bash
fetchmail -v -d 60
exit 0

When I long as the user daniel fetchmail does not start.  I assume this
has something to do with ppp being run as root.  As such I changed ip-up
to the following:
#!/bin/bash
su daniel-c fetchmail -v -d 60
exit 0

This means that it runs the fetchmail as user daniel if I start ppp
through root but if I run it as user daniel it still does not work.

I probably could copy the .fetchmailrc to root but this does not seem
very security wise.

Any ideas?

Daniel

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org