why cant i use my USB as modules?

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Tue Aug 27 17:36:16 PDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 08:17:28PM +0000, Steven Stimpson wrote:
>  In order for my usb mouse and keyboard to work with my kernel i have to
> compile in input support both mouse and keyboard. not as modules or it wont
> work. under usb i have to compile in usb HID support not as a module or
> again it will not work. any idea as to why i can modularize this?

It would seem that if you forgot to update the modules.conf and then
depmod before reboot, you'd be screwed as you wouldn't have a keyboard
or mouse. :) Maybe that was the reasoning? Besides, it is my opinion
that something that is always on and is constantly communicating with
the kernel (e.g. eth cards, keyboards, mice, etc...) should not be
modularized as there is no realized increase in performance, just more
hassle setting up. Again, that's IMO.

--
Archaic

--
Government: If you refuse to pay unjust taxes, your property will be
confiscated. If you attempt to defend your property, you will be

- Edward Abbey

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org