xterm wont read my .bash_profile

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Tue Aug 27 17:44:40 PDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 08:29:47PM +0000, Steven Stimpson wrote:
> hello and thank you for reading this.
> whenever i start an xterm or one of the fancy xterms that come with gnome or
> kde they wont read in my .bash_profile. so no fancy prompt or path.

It's not supposed to. It reads .bashrc. Create one and put: source
~/.bash_profile (or whatever profile file you use). Another tip, if you
have multiple users who will all have the same basic .bash_profile, you
could just delete them and use /etc/profile. That really comes in handy
when you have to set something like MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME and then you log
in as a different user wondering why mozilla doesn't work. It just a
pain updating all the different .bash_profiles lying around. And if you
need somethings to be user specific, that's easy in /etc/profile.

Example:

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin

if [ "`id -u`" == 0 ]; then
        PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
fi

will put the sbin directories into root's path but no one else's.

HTH! :)

--
Archaic

--
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain
occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.  It will often be

- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Abigail Adams, 1787

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org