xterm/konsole: what if not .bash_profile?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Aug 28 03:48:03 PDT 2002

Sven Hartenstein wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so far I used vim, mutt,... from the console (non-X) where the colors
> and LC_CTYPE things go perfectly.
>
> But when I use xterm (is it xterm that KDE offers?), the settings in
> .bash_profile seem to have no effect. I created a .bashrc with
>
>      source /home/sven/.bash_profile
>
> which helped to have colors in ls . But the colors and keybindings are
> gone in mutt and vim.

Probably the value of the TERM variable is at fault - "ls --color"
ignores this, and so will work on any terminal program that supports
colour, regardless of the TERM setting. The others though (i.e
vim/pine/etc), require that the terminal setting support it, which may
not be the case by default - I'm guessing it might be set to "xterm" by
default?

I don't know about Konsole, but for xterm, I use the following line in a
~/.Xresources file, which is loaded from my .xinitrc file by the "xrdb
-merge" command.

XTerm.TermName: xterm-xfree86

Konsole probably has a suitable option somewhere in the config
screen/menu - it's been a long time since I used it though, so I can't
be more specific. No doubt someone else on the list can answer that one.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org