Idea For Build Help

Erik Vaughn kicker0429 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 06:35:02 PDT 2002

Dan Osterrath <do3 at mail.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Well when ld fails with something like cound not
> find -lname, then it
> always looks for libname.*. But how to find out
> which package contains
> this library?

I only used the "missing library" error as an example.
 I do not suggest that a site should list each -l**
and its corresponding library.  Rather, the site would
tell you, "If you receive such a message, the problem
is that you are missing a library."  My hope is that
people can look for generic build error solutions so
they will have a starting point to troubleshoot their
own miscompilations.  It would be impossible to
specifically solve every error.