Idea For Build Help

Eric Pettifor eric at wynja.com
Fri Aug 30 08:57:36 PDT 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 05:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
Erik Vaughn <kicker0429 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a website that lists common build
> errors and solutions?  For example, if someone
> received the following error: "/usr/sbin/ld: cannot
> find -lfl" (compile aborts) the site would tell you:
> "It can't find libfl.a. You need to install the flex
> package."

This does kind of/sort of exist in a vague distributed way, the key
component being google.  If it's a common problem you may be able
to find something on the web about it if you search on a key bit
of a generated error message.

Also don't limit yourself to google.com, but also check out
http://groups.google.com/

I found two news group postings directly related to the apache problem
I'm having.  However, no responses to either posting :-(

And of course for lfs the lfs site search facility is tailor made for
lfs related problems, and blfs is a totally brilliant extension.  In
fact, what you're suggesting, as far as lfs/blfs is concerned, might
be considered lfs/blfs content & site search.

It would be nice to have something specific without irrelevant hits, but
'the truth is out there' (at least sometimes) already.  The challenge,
obviously, is finding it.  I suspect that's the motivation behind your
suggestion, but it would take a huge amount of time to duplicate/keep
current the huge amount of information that exists via other sources.
Perhaps a 'data mining' hint might be more achievable?

I appreciate the problem and I think we've all experienced the frustration
of trying to find elusive information.  It's a problem certainly worth
considering. I wonder if there isn't a need for a technical search engine,
something where if you search for 'bash' you get only hits concerning the
shell (and if 'shell' not sea shells), the most irrelevant hits perhaps relating
to ungentle case mods ;-)

-Eric
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org