getting my system to speak UTC time instead of local time

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Fri Aug 30 10:44:20 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 11:39, Steven Stimpson wrote:

> well i followed the hint exactly but my system it still saying localtime
> followed by utc. like right now its 16:35 UTC when it should be 5 hours
> off. i think the hint might be too  old for my lfs i did the lfs 3.3 and a
> lot of the directories and scripts mentioned in the hint did not exist on
> my system....
> soooo anyone out there know how to get a lfs 3.3 system to speak UTC time?
> thanks
> Steven

Here's a clue for you...

dagmar at evil:~$ ls -al /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           37 Aug 14 00:08 /etc/localtime
-> ../usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago

Coincidentally, when I run `tzselect` and answer all it's questions, the
output it gives me for TZ is "America/Chicago".  ;)

This is just to bug people who go through a lot of trouble to set TZ
system-wide... and to throw in my two-cents worth about when TZ should
be set on a glibc system.

dagmar at evil:~$ set | grep TZ   # notice that there is no output!
dagmar at evil:~$ date
Fri Aug 30 10:21:07 CDT 2002

Setting TZ system-wide is a now pretty much useless.  It doesn't really
need to be set because glibc has no problems taking it's cue from
/etc/localtime, and only users who might be shelling in from remote
locations in other time zones might want to set it in their .bashrc or
something.  Software that attempts to come up with it's own concept of
date strings should really be using glibc to get the string so they can
also get the benefit of locale-ization.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org