ALSA sound module does not automatically start

Daniel Brewer d.brewer at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Aug 31 01:58:36 PDT 2002

Hello all,

I have installed ALSA and I have managed to get the sound to work (!).
The only problem is that the sound modules are not loaded automatically
on startup.  Everytime I want sound I have to type:

modprobe snd-ens1371

Hmmmmm.  I don't really understand why this is so.  Here is the sound
bit of my /etc/modules.etc:
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ens1371
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias snd-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias snd-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias snd-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias snd-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
post-install snd-card-ens1371 /usr/sbin/aslactl restore

I am sure it is something to do with me not understanding modules
properly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Daniel Brewer