nvidia drivers/glx

Dusty Phillips dusty0508 at yahoo.ca
Sat Aug 31 18:27:28 PDT 2002

Hello,

I followed the directions in the glx_nvidia hint to try install the latest
nvidia drivers on X4.20.  It didn't work or something; when I try to run
startx I get this output:

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 January 2002
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
	newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
	reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.9-13smp i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Aug 31 19:08:24 2002
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
(EE) Failed to load module "GLcore" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to xfree86 at xfree86.org.

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I don't have a lot of time right now to explain my configuration, but I'm
hoping that it's a relatively easy problem that I missed.  I'm using the
latest nvidia drivers instead of .9.6 or whatever it was suggested in the
hints...  MY graphics card is a geForce something or other; I'll look it
up later, I promise! ;)

Any advice will be appreciated!

thanks,

Dusty