kde3 login problems

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun May 5 10:45:31 PDT 2002

On Sun, 5 May 2002, Seth W. Klein wrote:

> Bill Maltby LFS Related <lfsbill at wlmcs.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Bruce nailed it - /dev/root is /proc/mounts related and, IMO,
> > due to lazy kernel developers.
>
> I don't know if they're lazy, but there are other problems with

I don't either - but I derived some pleasure from wondering why
they didn't use their own routines to present more usable info
and joking about it.

> the /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts symlink. Search the archives for
> the gory details.
>
> AFAIK, the reason LFS does this is to avoid problems if /etc/mtab
> contains invalid data when booting after a crash. Which is weird
> because i don't use the symlink and never have that problem, (and
> my machine is rarely shut down by anything but a power outage).
> Let me see...

I presume the below occurs after the fsck, if any is done (have
to be - else the fs is ro) and so I see no problem with it.

> ... Aha! My bootscripts clear /etc/mtab after remounting / rw.
> Like so:
>
> echo "Remounting root filesystem read/write..."
> mount -vno remount,rw /
> echo "Clearing /etc/mtab..."
> > /etc/mtab
> echo "Recording root mount in mtab..."
> mount -f /
> echo "Mounting remaining filesystems..."
> mount -va

I'm sorry, but the above is not the "officially" approved patch
that is supported by the "official" LFS distribution. The maintainers
of LFS would like to help you with your problem. If you will please
revert to the "official" distribution, the maintiners will be
be holding another "review" session within six weeks and will take
your proposal under advisement at that time. In the event that your
proposal is accepted for inclusion in the "official" distribution,
you will be notified by e-mail within three weeks of the decision
date. You will then be allowed 4 weeks to generate an acceptable
patch, with supporting evidence of adequate testing, and submit it
to the "official" reviewer. Thereafter, it will disseminated to the
internal maintenance community for review and comments, and appropriate
modification. This will take no more that three weeks, at which time
their conclusions, recommendations and tentative schedules will be
forwarded to you by e-mail. From that date you will have 8 weeks to
respond, contesting any of the "findings" from the...

;)

> Will someone verify that this fixes the problem that is the reason
> for the /etc/mtab link? I'd like to see the link go since it causes
> occasional problems to come up on the list.

I also don't care for the link. But, like you, my machines seldom
go down (more often form me modifying them than for power - BBS are
*great*) and I haven't experienced problems with corruption. The
most common problem is unable to umount root because something's
(apparently) still positioned on it when rebooting/shutting down.
This cause a delay on boot-up while the fsck runs.

> cheers,
> Seth W. Klein

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com