no user bin

Carsten P. Gehrke Carsten at rollinghorse.com
Thu May 9 13:24:05 PDT 2002

At 20:47 09-05-02 +0100, you wrote:
>On Thu, 09 May 2002 12:28:22 -0700
>"Carsten P. Gehrke" <Carsten at rollinghorse.com> wrote:
>
> > >I /dont/ think the book should include it. it should be an admin
> > >policy.
> > >
> > >I personally dont add bin.
> >
> > According to the last time I looked at the LSB (Linux Standards Base)
> > spec, users root, bin and daemon are required, others are optional.  I
> > personally installed traceroute without user bin, because it seemed to
> > be needed only for the man pages: install -c -m 444 -o root -g bin
> > traceroute.8 /usr/man/man8.  I did add users bin and daemon later
> > because of the LSB.  That *may* be an argument for inclusion in LFS...
>
>Interesting... is there any reason for not using root with user-execute
>?

I have researched the topic of users quite a bit, at least on the Internet
(Web, USENET, mailing lists archives of various groups).  There doesn't
seem to be any consensus regarding bin and daemon (and various others)
except that they're there for "historic" reasons (whatever those may
be--anyone out there a UNIX user from the 70s?).  This may be a question to
take to the LSB.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org