KDE3 Graphical login

Ron Keller rakeller at shaw.ca
Wed May 22 00:12:20 PDT 2002

I would like to be able to start KDE with a graphical login
from runlevel 5.  My ~/.Xinitrc and ~/.Xsession files each
contain "exec startkde" (without the quotes).  So, as root,
I can startx and arrive at a KDE desktop.  But this means I
have to log into the console beforehand, which is not
desirable

My /etc/inittab contains a line which reads
"x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon"

If I enter runlevel 5, I can get to a graphical login, but
the xsesrver crashes as soon as I enter username, password
and hit the ENTER key.  There is no info in
/var/log/kdm.log that would indicate why this is happening.
I would really appreciate some help with this  I haven't
found anythin gin the hints that would explain why this is
happening.  thanks in advance for any suggestions.

RK
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org