combreloc & objprelink

Simone Tuzzato apis at interfree.it
Sun May 26 03:36:28 PDT 2002

> Let us know what you find out.
>    -- Bruce

Ok.
I made a series of tests.

I take a slackware 8.0 distro
(sorry no space&time left for a full lfs recompile up to X & QT)

Those were my steps :
1) recompile binutils 2.12 to gain -z combreloc ok
[no optimizations used]

2) recompile glibc to effectively use -z combreloc (upgraded 2.2.3 to 2.2.5)
[no optimizaions used]

3) compile gcc 3.1 with c & c++ (distro compiler was 2.95.3)
[no optimizations used]

4) compile objprelink

6) compile qt-3.0.4
[-s -O3 -march=athlon -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe]

well all tests & example & tools in qt source works great
(good speed no seg fault)

ldd show they are linked with glibc 2.2.5, objprelink works great here with
binutils 2.2.15
glibc 2.2.5
gcc 3.1

just a thought that popped into my mind ....
i put an "alias ld = ld -z combreloc" before compiling qt just to be safe this
switch will be used every time ld called .. suppose this isn't
the safest choice :(

I noticed that glibc configure step, find and use combreloc ...
with other software I should wait until they implement the switch in configure
just like objprelink in qt ?

Ok ..
When I gain more spare time I will try a full LFS glibc 2.2.5 gcc 3.1 binutils
2.2.12 up to x & qt with combreloc & objprelink system.

P.S.
Ok just to say that I also recompile my kernel with gcc 3.1
NTFS 2.07 driver for 2.4.18 (the patch) refuse to compile :(
but Nvidia & Ltmodem 8.22a3 works great :)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org