Full system access via single user mode

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri May 31 01:40:47 PDT 2002

Was it Martin Kavec who wrote on Saturday 01 June 2002 11:39:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have heard that it is possible to gain a full access to a system via
> single user mode. I am not a linux guru so could anyone please explain me
> how is it possible but more importantly how to avoid it. Wish you a nice
> weekend and thanks for explanation again.

init 1 gets you into single user, I think but you have to be root to do it.
What is a greater worry is  people coming in ,  making use of loose
permissions, exploiting a hole in software or some such weakness, and making
themselves root or taking over your X server.

http://www.securityfocus.com   is a good place to start reading.

--
	Regards,

	Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

	A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Experience is like a comb,
that Life gives you - AFTER all your hair has fallen out!
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org