sound modules

alex at 22-music.com alex at 22-music.com
Thu Jan 2 10:26:46 PST 2003

On 02.01.03 13:15 -0500, James Drabb wrote:
> Thanks for the modules info.  I am using devfs with alsa.  This
> is my alsa portion:
>
> # ALSA Sound
> alias char-major-116 snd
> options snd major=116 cards_limit=1
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias /dev/snd* snd-card-0
> # ALSA OSS portion
> alias /dev/sound snd-card-0
> alias /dev/sound/mixer snd-mixer-oss
> alias /dev/sound/sequencer* snd-seq-oss
> alias /dev/sound/dsp* snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/sound/audio* snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/sound/adsp* snd-pcm-oss
> # Backward compatibility
> alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
> alias /dev/sequencer* snd-seq-oss
> alias /dev/dsp* snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/audio* snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/adsp* snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/dmfm snd-card-0
> alias /dev/dmmidi snd-card-0
> alias /dev/midi00 snd-card-0
> # Restore sound levels
> post-install snd-intel8x0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
> pre-remove snd-intel8x0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store
>
> Is this all needed with devfs?  I actually use a startup script
> that loads all the alsa and alsa-oss modules.  Is any of the above
> extra fluff that is not needed?
If you use the startup script, you don't really need the last two lines
since alsactl should be called withing the alsasound script (considered
you're using the script that comes with the driver). Calling alsactl
twice is what I would call unneeded. The rest of the modules.conf is OK
as far as I can see.

> Jim Drabb
> --
Alex Kloss
--
MS Windows will be stable, when pigs learn to fly. So Microsoft's
Task Nr. 1 is to teach pigs how to fly... --Unknown
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org