Printing - a minority report

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Jan 14 06:32:00 PST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 02:48:48 +0000 (UTC)
meerkats at bellsouth.net (Craig Colton) wrote:

> You don't have to be a programmer. I'm not. I think you're ranting
> against the fact that it takes several packages to do basic printing,
> but I don't know who you're mad at.

no, I think hes ranting that it takes several packages with overlapping
functionality.

eg. ghostscript can rasterise in multiple formats, and so can gimp-print

its not a case of:

app->spooler->rasteriser->output prog->printer

which would be a nice simple model, but very often a case of

app->spooler andoutput prog-> rasteriser  --+

             \/
            printer

and even then, theres about 80,000,000 different arrangemts / switches
to flip.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org