cleaning up inetd after installing xinetd

Andrew Davis andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
Mon Jan 20 20:11:14 PST 2003

Andrew Davis wrote:
> Kristian Benoit wrote:
>
>> Andrew Davis wrote:
>>
>>> I want to install xinetd as I'm more familiar with it and I
>>> understand it to be more secure than inetd. However, inetd is
>>> installed by default with the base LFS 4.0 installation. Also, I'm
>>> not using a package manager of any sort (nor did I plan to), so I'm
>>> not sure what files inetd uses and where they all may be located
>>> except for what a "locate inetd" shows me. So before I install
>>> xinetd, what do I need to do to remove inetd, yet not cripple my
>>> system... ie, at least leave me ssh access)???
>>

>> I personally never saw ssh started from inetd so if you installed it
>> in the way blfs does, you dont need inetd to have it working, to
>> uninstall it you can can try:
>> make uninstall
>>  From the package, if you already erased the folder, you could
>> reconfigure it as you did (probably as the book said) and then try a
>> make uninstall. If that does'nt work, you'll have to erase it by
>> hand... yuk ... you could look at the output of make install, by
>> doiing: make install > install.log ... you'll be able to see what it
>> did with every file, or configure and install it in an empty folder
>> just to see which and where the files are installed.
>> If anyone got a better way to uninstall packages that we compiled
>> ourselves, I'd like to know.
>>
>> Kritian
>>
> I'm looking through things a bit, and please correct me if I'm wrong. I
> see that during the LFS install, we install the netkit-base. This should
>  provide both ping and inetd. However, I've searched my system and I
> don't see an /etc/inetd.conf. I've also searched through
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/* and I don't see that inetd is being started by any of
> the startup scripts. So now I'm reading through the docs on xinetd and
> they only provide xinetd, not ping. So if I uninstall inetd via "make
> uninstall", I'm probably gonna lose ping as well. So I guess the
> question is how do I get ping & xinetd, but remove inetd? One of the
> reasons I went to LFS was that I wanted to be able to control exactly
> what was installed on my system. But I want to have xinetd, but not
> leave the inetd stuff laying around.
>
> Thoughts?
Quick follow-up... I just checked my /usr/src/netkit-base dir and tried
"make uninstall"... it says "no rule...". So it appears that "make
uninstall isn't an option". Obviously, I can do a "locate inetd" and
just manually delete stuff, but I was just hoping there was a cleaner
way of doing it.
--
Andrew Davis

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org