Quality Control in hints

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Jan 24 16:50:05 PST 2003

Rob Park wrote:

>Alas! Billy O'Connor spake thus:
>

>>eocnex at hnyoregn.pn (Rob Park) writes:
>>

>>>All the people that are currently maintaining X hints should get
>>>together, scour the mail archives for people bitching about their
>>>problems with X, and collaborate with each other on what the hint should
>>>include.
>>>

>>That's quite a bit of work you're volunteering them for.
>>

>If they cared enough to write X hints in the first place, I figure they
>care enough to write _good_ ones.

Excuse me, but I would like to know why any X hints are needed at all!
 The BLFS X section is maintained and I will entertain any suggested
changes.  Right now, we are anxiously awaiting X 4.3 and I believe the
overall instructions will be simplified a lot as a result.

In some specialized cases, I can see a hint on "Installing drivers for
XYZ Video card in XFree86".  In those cases, the instructions should
read:  Install XFree86 as described in BLFS except...   or Install
XFree86 as described in BLFS and then ...

You guys talk like BLFS doesn't cover XFree86 at all.

  -- Bruce

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org