setting PATH-Variables under X

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Thu Sep 2 14:23:43 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 22:50 +0200, Denis wrote:
> Thanks - its works. This for info: What would be the long&clean solution?
> Is it an error in blfs? I read in the XFree86 section, that the paths
> regarding X should also be added in profile.d, so that my guess is that X
> should also have those paths - right?

1. Top-quoting is teh suck.

2. I'm not sure there _is_ a long & clean solution that many people
would find acceptable in comparison to the quick & dirty one that
actually works.

Here's the deal...  Your /login shell/ is responsible for setting up the
initial paths used in the user environment.  This sounds simple, but in
practice most people's definition of "login shell" doesn't happen to
match reality.  Strictly speaking, your login shell is _not_ always
bash.  If you're in runlevel 4/5 and using GDM/KDM/XDM then X, *not
bash*, is your login shell.  If you're logging in through ssh, things
happen the way they're supposed to because it tries to tie in to the
same place /bin/login does, which means bash jumps up and does it's
thing like one would expect.  There's ways to configure the *DMs to call
for /etc/profile, but generally, just tieing (sp?) it into the shell
spawned by terminals (which is where bash and ~/.bashrc comes in) solves
the problem.

3.  It's not an error in BLFS, for reasons cited in #2.  Paths regarding
X actually are set in /etc/profile.d/xfree86.sh, and usually every *DM
has enough sense to add /usr/X11R6/bin even if that gets missed.

--
The email address above is phony because my penis is already big enough, kthx.
   AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org (<-not an email address!)