Problem with X11R6.8.0 xterm, asking for verification

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Mon Sep 13 03:12:44 PDT 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:39:57 +0200 Miguel Bazdresch
<lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> wrote:

> Almost mindboggingly, in all four cases vim reports its internal
> term type as set to 'screen'.

Ah. Now it makes more sense. screen creates its own pseudo-tty to
communicate with vim, so vim is not talking to xterm directly. Everything
is filtered by screen in both directions.

That this creates problems in your experiments is unsurprising, because
you are pretending to screen that it is talking to a vt100 (which it
isn't). This causes screen to mistranslate between vim and xterm.

> I've been reading on vim's terminal support and it's a horrible, dry
> piece of documentation. However, it led me to my current belief that the
> problem is due to a disagreement between xterm and vim as to how vt100
> is supposed to work.

Well, are you sure that a real vt100 even has a HOME and END key?
If not, then you can't expect those keys to work.
Wait, let's find out:

prompt> infocmp vt100|grep -q khome && echo Home || echo Homeless
Homeless

prompt> infocmp xterm|grep -q khome && echo Home || echo Homeless
Homeless

prompt> infocmp xterm-color|grep -q khome && echo Home || echo Homeless
Homeless

See, neither of the TERMs you tried advertises a home key, so any
translation of the code sent by HOME is not well-defined. That's without
having executed tic /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/etc/xterm.terminfo.
After tic xterm-color and xterm advertise a home key, but vt100 still
doesn't (and shouldn't, if a real vt100 doesn't have a home key)

You really should be using the correct terminal type, which is neither
xterm nor xterm-color nor vt100. It's xterm-xfree86. If your scroll wheel
doesn't work with this you'll have to find out why and get this fixed.
Using an incorrect TERM is not a solution.

MSB

--
Who is this General Failure,
and why is he reading my disk ?