sound dies after KDE starts

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Sep 20 05:43:51 PDT 2004

Simon Geard wrote:
> I believe it's possible to setup ALSA to do mixing internally, but I've
> never tried it - most of the documentation seems to be oriented towards
> supporting the OSS compatibility layer which I don't use.

It is possible, but ARTS is broken enough to work improperly in this
setup (a solution is to run esd and configure ARTS to output sound
through esd). If you want to try this setup, see this page:

http://www.pseudorandom.co.uk/2004/debian/alsa/

Note that you want to disable OSS compatibility in the kernel and run
OSS apps via the "aoss" wrapper.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov