Running LILO after reinstalling

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Sep 22 01:41:37 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:43:04PM +0000, Cliff McDiarmid enlightened us
thusly
> Hi
>
> I've just repartitioned my hard drive for a fresh start, leaving
> Windoze on hda1.  LFS has been reinstalled to a new partition from a
> image backup.   Lilo is in the MBR and after making adjustments to
> lilo.conf and fstab using a boot disk I'm looking to run lilo to
> update.   I understand I can't do this from a chroot env.  Is there
> another way?   I could install a distro to another parttition, boot
> into LFS from that, and then reinstall lilo into the MBR from LFS.
> There must be an easier way?

You should understand why you can't update from chroot, and you'll see
the way out. In a chroot, some subdirectory is /; anything mounted
before the chroot is invisible.

Workarounds: install grub, install lilo outside the chroot, or use a
boot cd or floppy like tomsrtbt. They use a ramdisk; you mount your
intended root partition as /mnt, and others as subdirectories of that.

Then you can chroot to /mnt, and run lilo. This time, what is invisible
is only the ramdisk.

BTW, with a name like McDiarmid, there must be some Irish in you?

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.