Mass storage devices, hotplug & udev

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Mon Aug 1 03:09:14 PDT 2005

> > I currently have udev-062 and Hotplug-2004-09-23 running in lfs-6.0
> > and I'm looking at trying to get my camera noticed. I get 6 pages of
> > usb messages on startup (makes a mental to uncheck VERBOSE_DEBUG in
> > the kernel) and all host modules get loaded. When I manually load
> > usb_storage module I see this on stdout
> >
> > [root at genius ~]# usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
> > address 2
> > usb 1-1: Product: USB Mass Storage
> > usb 1-1: SerialNumber: Y-560^^^^^030819XFPX0004006711
> > scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> >   Vendor: FUJIFILM  Model: USB-DRIVEUNIT     Rev: 1.00
> >   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
> >
> > It has loaded the scsi_mod module, which I think is some general
> > thing.  Scsi is enabled, but few/no drivers are. Udev or hotplug
> > don't find it.  Where does the thing hide out? /dev/??? What kernel
> > options are missing?  Kernel, btw is 2.6.12.1
>
> Mine is treated as a scsi disk. It's at /dev/sda1
> >
> > Here's the SCSI stuff (anything ommitted is unset)

[SNIP]

> Additionally I've got :
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
> CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
>
> Don't remember if the scsi generic was for my camera or something else

Okay, I happen to have those 2 kernel options as well. It looks like the
slice of bread landed on the floor jammy side up :-)

Armed with this much, I went hunting. I have updated lfs bootscripts,
(3.2.2) but hotplug still isn't happy. To avoid continuous errors, I
dropped the offending USB modules. Neither hotplug or udev show under
ps, nor anything I can associate with them. That might explain why new
nodes aren't created. But the scripts appear to be run. Here's the
results of find commands for udev and hotplug in /etc/rc.d on the
offending system.

./rcsysinit.d/S10udev
./init.d/udev

./rc0.d/S50hotplug
./rc6.d/S50hotplug
./rcsysinit.d/S55hotplug
./init.d/hotplug

This is 'ls /etc/hotplug/*.rc'

/etc/hotplug/input.rc*
/etc/hotplug/pci.rc*
/etc/hotplug/pnp.rc*
/etc/hotplug/usb.rc*

/etc/hotplug.d just has a default subdir, with a default entry, and
/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug says /sbin/udevsend. ??

This is supposed to be a process of one tapping the other on the
shoulder and saying "Wake Up" as I understand the (lack of) user
documentation. But something has to be awake in the beginning....
and nothing is.

What's wrong with the above? TIA,
--

	With best Regards,