iso-codes fails to build - object not found in Python module

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:03:35 PDT 2005

I am attempting to compile iso-codes 0.44 (the lastest in Debian
stable), and also 0.47 (latest in Debian Sid). I have downloaded the
source packages from qa.debian (
http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/iso-codes.html ), aswell as the patch
provided there - whether or not I apply that patch seems to make no
difference. In all cases, make tells me:
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "../iso2pot.py", line 9, in ?
>    from xml.sax import saxutils, make_parser, saxlib, saxexts, ContentHandler
>ImportError: cannot import name saxlib

Looking in /usr/lib/python-2.4/xml/sax/ tells me that every single one
of those exists as a .py there, except for saxlib . So, thinking it
could just be misplaced, I did 'find /usr -name saxlib.py' . It came
up with no results. It seems obvious that I should have saxlib.py
there, else nothing should be trying to import it. What isn't obvious
is /why/ it isn't there. Why wouldn't it install? Is it an older
module that isn't shipped anymore (if so, why does iso-codes want
it?)? Do I need another package to have saxlib there (unlikely, since
the other sax-things are there)?
Python version is 2.4, compiled per BLFS (using the package user hint).

--
Lennon Victor Cook