Mass storage devices, hotplug & udev

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Aug 1 04:01:07 PDT 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Declan Moriarty wrote:

> I currently have udev-062 and Hotplug-2004-09-23 running in lfs-6.0 and
> I'm looking at trying to get my camera noticed. I get 6 pages of usb
> messages on startup (makes a mental to uncheck VERBOSE_DEBUG in the
> kernel) and all host modules get loaded. When I manually load
> usb_storage module I see this on stdout
>

> [root at genius ~]# usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
> address 2
> usb 1-1: Product: USB Mass Storage
> usb 1-1: SerialNumber: Y-560^^^^^030819XFPX0004006711
> scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>   Vendor: FUJIFILM  Model: USB-DRIVEUNIT     Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
>
> It has loaded the scsi_mod module, which I think is some general thing.
> Scsi is enabled, but few/no drivers are. Udev or hotplug don't find it.
> Where does the thing hide out? /dev/??? What kernel options are missing?
> Kernel, btw is 2.6.12.1
>
> Here's the SCSI stuff (anything ommitted is unset)
>
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
> # SCSI device support
> CONFIG_SCSI=m
> CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
> # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
> # Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs

 I think your problem is there - CONFIG_SCSI_DISK is needed.  I had this
problem yesterday (kernel saw the camera in sys.log, but when I tried
to mount it /dev/sda1 wasn't a valid block device).  I'm assuming this
is a camera you can just mount as a vfat filesystem.

 At some point, usb-storage stopped depending on scsi_disk, although the
help says you may need to select scsi_disk.  Perhaps as a consequence,
an old .config run through 'make oldconfig' may not have scsi_disk
enabled.

Ken