Circular Dependencies

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Aug 1 05:48:48 PDT 2005

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Declan Moriarty wrote:

> Yes, please send me the buildscripts.

 Done, from my other account.

> >  The key is to have a reasonable idea of what each package
> >  contributes, then keep rearranging the pieces until you're happy.
> >  There are a few circular dependencies in the sense that foo improves
> >  bar, bar is necessary for baz, and baz can improve the experience of
> >  foo.  Generally, weigh up the merits of what is optional, then make a
> >  decision about what order you'll use.  Very few people will notice
> >  any deficiencies in these cases.
>
> How do I get a reasonable idea of what each package provides? Fine when
> I know and use the thing, but when I don't, I get a line on top of the
> BLFS book page and the first sentence of the README. This sort of thing.
> ---
> Introduction to SDL
>
>    The Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL for short) is a cross-platform
> library designed to make it easy to write multimedia software, such as
> games and emulators.
>
> ---
> What was that about? It's either invaluable or valueless, and it's FAR
> from the worst of them. 12 'Optionals' are listed :-/.

 SDL seems to be useful for gamers (some games need it to be present).
I think something or other references it, but for me it doesn't look
worth doing.  In general, if the homepage for the package [ try
freshmeat ] (or the blfs page, sometimes) makes it sound useful, I'll
give it a try.  If I like it, or if it's possibly useful and not
troublesome, I keep it in future builds.  Of course, from time to time I
start an experimental build to evaluate new packages - this is where the
experience comes from.

 A lot of the optional packages are often required for at least one
other package - if that other package is itself in the list of what you
want, that's a no-brainer.

 People have commented on using the colour of the hyperlinks to see what
you needed - that's fine for looking at a small subset of packages, but
less helpful when overhauling a complete build sequence.  For that, I
recommend editing a file - a line with a number and a package, naming
what it requires and what it can use, with their numbers.  As you update
them, so you'll find you have to move and renumber.  Tedious, but WFM.

Ken