Mass storage, hotplug etc - SORTED?

Remco remco at d-compu.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 1 13:14:58 PDT 2005

Declan Moriarty wrote:

> Now all I have to do is to figure why I'm not getting the modules. I
> have heard of an empty file for /etc/modprobe.conf.

On both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels I always had to "link" usb-storage to the scsi
modules using the corresponding module tools. (Same for firewire discs
through the sbp2 module)

On Linux 2.4 / modutils, in /etc/modules.conf:
# IEEE1394 / USB storage
above sbp2  sd_mod
above usb-storage sd_mod

On Linux 2.6 / module-init-tools, in /etc/modprobe.conf:
install sbp2 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install sbp2 &&
{ /sbin/modprobe sd_mod; /bin/true; }
remove sbp2 { /sbin/modprobe -r sd_mod; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time
--ignore-remove sbp2
install usb-storage /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install usb-storage
&& { /sbin/modprobe sd_mod; /bin/true; }
remove usb-storage { /sbin/modprobe -r sd_mod; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r
--first-time --ignore-remove usb-storage

(The above lines are probably wrapped, so I hope they make any sense)

Since you mentioned using scsi_mod, replacing sd_mod by scsi_mod may work as
well.

I think you need to run depmod afterwards to "activate" the changes, so the
kernel knows about the new dependencies.

In case modprobe.conf is empty and you have an old, working, modules.conf at
hand. To convert your modules.conf to modprobe.conf
there's /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf.