Mass storage, hotplug etc - SORTED?

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Tue Aug 2 03:19:37 PDT 2005

> Declan Moriarty wrote:
> > Now all I have to do is to figure why I'm not getting the modules. I
> > have heard of an empty file for /etc/modprobe.conf.
> On both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels I always had to "link" usb-storage to the
> scsi modules using the corresponding module tools. (Same for firewire
> discs through the sbp2 module)
> On Linux 2.4 / modutils, in /etc/modules.conf: # IEEE1394 / USB
> storage above sbp2  sd_mod above usb-storage sd_mod
>

> On Linux 2.6 / module-init-tools, in /etc/modprobe.conf: install sbp2
> /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install sbp2 && { /sbin/modprobe
> sd_mod; /bin/true; } remove sbp2 { /sbin/modprobe -r sd_mod; } ;
> /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time --ignore-remove sbp2 install
> usb-storage /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install usb-storage
> && { /sbin/modprobe sd_mod; /bin/true; } remove usb-storage {
> /sbin/modprobe -r sd_mod; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time
> --ignore-remove usb-storage

They certainly are wrapped now but they _do_ make as much sense as
anything written in modprobe.conf ever did. I'll stick something like
that in.

> (The above lines are probably wrapped, so I hope they make any sense)
>
> Since you mentioned using scsi_mod, replacing sd_mod by scsi_mod may
> work as well.

I tried it. No. I need usb-storage and sd_mod. Where is hotplug when you
need it? Isn't this why we put up with it?

> I think you need to run depmod afterwards to "activate" the changes,
> so the kernel knows about the new dependencies.

Does depmod read /etc/modprobe.conf? Don't think so. But I'll check.

> In case modprobe.conf is empty and you have an old, working,
> modules.conf at hand. To convert your modules.conf to modprobe.conf
> there's /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf.

Thanks for the advice.

I tried /sbin/generate-modprobe.conf once :-). I'll use vim.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.