XFree86 freezes

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Tue Aug 2 03:26:33 PDT 2005

> Hi,
>
> XFree86 4.5.0 on LFS 6.1 appears to freeze when I open an xterm in twm
> and then either try to move the xterm window with my mouse or run a
> command whose output doesn't fit in the window (like "ps aux" or
> "dmesg"; "echo hello", on the other hand, isn't a problem).
>
> In the XFree86 log file I found nothing useful in relation to this
> problem.
>
> I use the XF86Config file created by "XFree86 -configure" and in
> .xinitrc only twm is started.
>
> I have no idea about what is going wrong here. What could I do to
> discover the cause of this problem? I'd be happy to give more
> information if needed.

IIRC, there is some buffer which xterm will use for screen overflow, and
it appears it can't be found. Either that or you have some module
crashing in X.

Post again with details of your video setup. DRI? Framebuffer? Video
settings. Are you on a standard vesa modeline or have you tweaked things
and rolled yourself a weirdo. What's your box? Laptop? PPC? Sparc?

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.