mkinitrd

Steven Pasternak stevenp500 at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 3 20:20:29 PDT 2005

Hi! I have an LFS 6.0 system, and I was wondering, where could I get a
good mkinitrd script and tutorial. I haven't found an official project,
and each distro has their own. I tried copying the debian initrd-tools
over. I liked how it used cramfs, but the mkinitrd script makes many
calls to 'dpkg', which I don't have. I haven't had luck figuring out how
fedora/redhat's mkinitrd works or what it needs (/etc/conf.modules,
/etc/mkinitrd/modules, /etc/modules.conf, etc.). I eventually want to
add a bootsplash (needs an initrd), and make it a custom live rescue cd
(and just want to know how it all works ;-) ) Thanks!
-Steven