Invalid pointer in XMMS

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Thu Aug 4 02:47:25 PDT 2005

> I have installed XMMS 1.2.10 and all his optional dependencies.
> When I run the program from Konsole I get this error:
>
> Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

I got this from loads of things when I had a line like
LOCALE=<something> and that locale was not correct.
Bashrc is probably where it is defined.

> *** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xb6dfa524 ***
> Aborted

That, if true, is serious, as glibc is the heart of your system. But the
locales also come from glibc. In lfs chapter 6 you had a pile of
commands like this one on the glibc page.

localedef -i de_DE at euro -f ISO-8859-15 de_DE at euro

that made the locale files and installed them.

> If I try to run the program from Kmenu it doesen't open, due, I
> suppose, to the previous error.
>
> I have no idea on what could be and what to try. It is, maybe, the
> Gdk-Warning that causes the error?

Let us know how you get on. This is a mess, but it is recoverable.
Don't just reinstall this package willy nilly. It's part of the
toolchain.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.